Thursday, January 6, 2011

Product Review: Drugstore Mascaras

Who doesn't want luscious, long and voluminous eyelashes?! One way to create this look is to wear false lashes, but who has time to glue on fake lashes everyday in the morning?
Therefore, for just everyday use, I just stick to using mascara.
Obviously there are many types of mascaras out there- from your high end brand (Lancome, Clinique, Dior) to your drugstore mascaras. Personally, I enjoy using drugstore mascaras because not only is their formula comparable to high end mascaras, but they are very affordable and can be found at any drugstore

Here's a small review of my least favourite mascara to my current favourite mascara.

LOREAL TELESCOPIC EXPLOSION MASCARA


This mascara came out in 2010 just right after Givenchy launched their infamous "ball" mascara. The "ball-like" appearance may look intimidating, but it supposedly does drastic effects on your lashes.

Givenchy and Loreal's mascara are similar dupes, but I would say that Loreal's Telescopic explosion mascara has definitely not matched Givenchy's mascara.

First off, the wand on Loreal's mascara is quite long and having control of the application is quite hard. Because the wand is long, when removing the wand from the tube and placing it back into the tube, the plastic wand is fragile, and may bend. I therefore suggest to be extra careful when removing the wand and placing it back into the tube!
The formula itself is not great at all- it clumps on your lashes, and it doesn't volumize or lengthen lashes at all. As well, the "ball-like" appearance takes some time to getting used to when applying on your lashes.

COVERGIRL LASHBLAST VOLUME

When this product first came out, everyone was talking about it! Covergirl makes some great drugstore cosmetic products, but nothing compares to its infamous mascaras! The orange tube may look simple, but the thick wand works magic onto your lashes.

The thickness of the wand may seem weird at first, but I promise the small, thin bristles comb through your lashes so effectively that by one coat, you can already tell that your lashes have been lengthened!
This mascara also gives volume and does not clump easily.

On another note, the only problem I have with this particular mascara is that it smudges often (if you don't want the smudging, try Covergirl's Lashblast Fusion mascara- purple tube), but so far, I have enjoyed this product. In fact, I have gone through at least 4-6 tubes of Covergirl's Lashblast Volume mascara.

Every girl should definitely try out this product.

MAYBELLINE THE FALSIES VOLUME EXPRESS
I have recently talked about this product in "Top 10 Favourites of 2010". This product came out just before the New Year, and I have loved using it ever since.

It claims that it will make your lashes look like fake eyelashes. It hasn't exactly done that for me, but I enjoy this product because it does all 3 things for me: holds my curl, lengthens and volumizes my lashes!

The scoop on the brush is used to maintain curl and provides length onto your lashes. When you turn the wand sideways, the longer bristles then add volume for your lashes. Unlike Covergirl's Lashblast mascara, this product does not smudge at all. As well, the formula does not clump

For application, I first use the scoop-end of the brush and then switch to the bristle end to separate my lashes. Because the mascara doesn't clump, removal of it is simple and hassle free.

No comments:

Post a Comment